The BeatGear Cavern

A Fab Forum
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 8:59 am
Hofner

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Strange problem accessing The Beat Gear Cavern recently...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:58 pm 
BGC Fellow

I've been a regular reader (and an occasional poster) at The Beat Gear Cavern for years.

For the past two or three weeks I've had a peculiar problem with accessing (reading or posting to) The Beat Gear Cavern - but only from my home computer - a relatively new Macbook laptop running Vista under "Bootcamp"...

Here's the problem... Until about two or three weeks ago I had no problem with your website at all - and was able to access it without any problem on my Macbook running Vista under "Bootcamp". Since then, I have generally been able to access the website "at first" - but, only until I happen to hit the "back arrow" in IE. At that point I get the error message one typically gets when attmepting to nagiate to a non-existant (or "down") webpage (or when there's no internet connection). Once I get this error message, I continue to get it whenever trying to access any web page on your website - but I don't get the error message (nor do I have any other trouble) when I navigate away from your website to any other website or to any webpage other than yours!

Once this problem starts, it seems to persist for a day or so (even if I reboot) - e.g. no matter what I do, I can't display any page on your website - I just get that error message whenever trying to access your site (though everything is fine whenever accessing any other website). Then, after a day or so, when I finally can "get in again" to your website, it seems fine - again, until I need to click on the "back arrow" in IE - and the same problem resurfaces.

This problem didn't appear until relatively recently (and I've not changed anything on my computer during any of the time in question.) At first I thought the problem was the same problem that everyone else was having with your website during the period you were down due to server problems - especially as this was when "my" problem accessing your website began. However, it seems that your server problems have now been reolved (or at least aren't currently acting up) while "my" problem accessing your site persists...

Most importantly I ONlY have this problem with YOUR website. I don't have it with any other site.

Note, I don't have this problem when accessing your website from my workplace computer, but I do have it when accessing your website from my home computer wherever I've tried to use my home computer over the past two to three weeks, so the problem is not with my home internet connection, but rather is with your website (or possibly some combination of your website and this computer). But again - I've not had this problem on this computer with any other website.

Very frustrating. Any ideas...?

Thanks,
rgordon (Richard Gordon r-gordon-7@comcast.net)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:45 pm 
Order of the Wig & Girdle

Sounds like an IP population problem, maybe. I'm sure MikeB will chime in and have a look... in fact, I'd PM him.

Your input is missed around here. :)

- the ONLY board member designated "brofessor stink-puppet" by Winky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:08 am 
BGC Fellow

Thanks Gingerly - and PM'ing MikeB is a good idea - will do...

BTW & FWIW, here's the further error screen I get when I click on "diagnose" on the initial error screen...

-------------

Window Title]
Windows Network Diagnostics
[Main Instruction]
"www.beatgearcavern.com" is not set up to establish a connection on port "World Wide Web service (HTTP)" with this computer.
[Windows found a problem that cannot be repaired automatically] [Cancel]

-------------

Thanks,
rgordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:43 am 
Order of the Wig & Girdle

rgordon wrote:
[Windows found a problem that cannot be repaired automatically] [Cancel]

Like THAT never happens. :lol:

- the ONLY board member designated "brofessor stink-puppet" by Winky