The BeatGear Cavern

A Fab Forum
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 8:12 pm
Hofner

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New Forum Suggestion - For Newbies
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:38 pm 
Contributor

I was wondering if it might be possible to create a new forum (or sub forum) specifically designed for newbies? As it is with any gathering, virtual or real, there are quite a few of the established here on BGC who in their time have discussed many things - to the point where they might be less inclined to welcome newcomer questions, topics, insights, and discoveries about our beloved Fab Four.

It might be nice to have a safe haven for those of us who are new to the BGC party where we needn't worry about being pushed to a corner for asking questions or posing points deemed too over trodden or unworthy by the elder statesmen of the group.

Ideally it would be a place where veterans can come and partake, but with the understanding that if a topic has been discussed ad nauseum already, a kind link or answer would be appreciated. Not everything can be found in a FAQ or via search (especially if you don't know the correct lingo to keyword search). An understanding guide would be welcome.

I know such guides exist as I have been lucky to have received help and encouragement, all over BGC PM's. I think it's a shame such exchanges of great information had to be done outside of the public forums. Who knows what great info wasn't shared simply because it had to be "taken outside?"

Perhaps this is an impossible subgroup to request as it would require self restraint of some if not outright moderation by others, but I thought I'd suggest it anyway. Part of me dislikes the idea of a kiddie pool group, segregating the new from the old, but it might help - especially since it's happening already (e.g., PM's etc.,). I suspect that there are many members who lurk due to being new, who hesitate to join actively; I would like to think that giving voice to the hidden might be a great idea if not an asset to keeping a group alive and vibrant.

There will always be people who are just discovering The Beatles; it's a unifying thread across generations, countries, and cultures that should be nurtured. Let's not stifle the celebration just because some of us came late - let's keep the party going.

Just an idea.